Mara Plains Camp A Memeber of Great Plains Conservation
Each of the suites has deep canvas canopied ceilings, rough-hewn wood floors and accents of East Africa’s rich safari history. Thick Lamu wood doors, deep reds, and brass accents – these small details transport guests to a time and land far away. The well-appointed en-suite facilities (including a deep copper bath) and extensive private verandah complete what is genuinely a stunning concept. These stylistic elements and thoughtful environmental elements such as solar power and no cement make Mara Plains a modern-day safari retreat.
The Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains, an intimate, two-bedroom exquisite, tented suite, is built entirely under canvas and is a perfect partner to the safari experiences at Mara Nyika Camp, The Sambuk Suite at Mara Nyika and ol Donyo Lodge. It is on raised, recycled railway sleeper decking and offers guests incredible views of the steady stream of wildlife parading past whilst discreetly tucked away under the tree canopy
Central to the Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains is an indoor dining area flanked by two large bedrooms with well-appointed ensuite facilities consisting of a flush loo, double basins, indoor shower and luxurious deep copper baths. Each of the suites has deep canvas canopied ceilings, rough-hewn wood floors and accents of East Africa’s rich safari history. Thick Lamu wood doors, deep reds, and brass accents – these small details transport guests to a time and land far away.
A short walkway leads off the main area to a private swimming pool. Being under the trees and sweeping canvas roof, the Suite is perfect for rest and relaxation. When residing at the Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains, guests automatically enjoy the services of a private safari vehicle and guide.
- En-suite with flush loo, shower (indoor), copper bathtub and double basins;
- Hot and cold running water;
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided;
- Power system does not support hairdryers, shavers or any high wattage device (low voltage hairdryers provided).
The Camp welcome Children who are- 6 years and older;
- Triples for children sharing with adults may be possible upon request;
- The private Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains can cater for a maximum of four adults sharing or two adults and up to three children (aged 6 – 15), sharing in two separate bedrooms;
- Families with children may be accommodated in the same vehicle as other guests unless a private vehicle is booked and paid for;
- Young children must be supervised as the camp is open, with high predator densities in and around camp and there is a river nearby;
- Great Plains Young Explorers program – thoughtfully designed to explore a range of experiences and topics from birding to cooking to art to tracking wildlife.
Food & Beverages
- The Camp world-class meals are Relais & Chateaux recognized
- All meals included and prepared by our Executive Chefs and their teams in a state-of-the-art kitchen that guests are welcome to visit
- All drinks and beverages are included, includingimported spirits and champagnes
- Group meals and/or individual tables, a la carte menu options
- Indoor and outdoor dining
- Private dining on guest’s private verandah on request
- All dietary requirements are catered for from regular to vegan to children; prior notice required
- The Camp is extremely flexible on timings. Picnic breakfasts or lunch (or both) are the norm due to very active safari drives, often delivered to the bush
Destination:-Olare Motorogi Conservancy
Game drives (day & night) take place in some of the Mara’s most coveted vehicles. Each of the four Toyota Land Cruisers is open-sided, canopied and customized for photographers (fold-down screens, raised roofs,photographic bars, multi-plug invertors). With just four to six guests each, the Cruisers also have fully stocked fridges stocked with drinks and snacks. No two days are the same on safari. Game drives typically start at sunrise, returning for lunch and depart again in the mid-afternoon before returning just after sunset. However, we will often go out all day, deep into the Reserve or Conservancy with a packed breakfast and lunch. One visit per guest per 3-night stay included, additional visits subject to park fees. Very often,our safaris will continue into the night, a possibility because of our location on a private conservancy.Night drives are incredibly prolific in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, and while they take patience, sightings commonly include lesser-known nocturnal mammals and even lion and hyena hunts
Hot air ballooning is available but should be booked in advance and is subject to availability and additional cost.Departures are very early in the morning to allow time to transfer to the nearest launching point
The Naboisho Women’s Group cultural experience is supported by the Great Plains Foundation, enabling the group to purchase raw materials in bulk including a tailor hired to work on leather products. Available to guests staying at Great Plains Conservation camps all profits from the sale of their wares are ploughed back into the women’s business training to ensure this group is self-sustainable.Items available for purchase include, but are not limited to,beaded & leather products, coasters, bracelets, necklaces,belts, dog collars, earrings, and decorated dawa sticks for example.
Each of Mara Plains’ guest suites has a professional camera set, including a camera body and 100-400mm and 24-70mm lenses. Photos will be downloaded to a memory stick on guest’s departure. Each suite comes with a pair of high-quality binoculars for guest use as well. Photographic tuition can be arranged for guests (at an additional cost) and we recommend prior booking if possible. Tuition can be either on company cameras or own guests’ personal cameras.
Wellness spa with locally inspired treatments is available.
Yoga mats and bands are provided in each suite.
Mara Plains Camp 2023 Rates
|2023 Room Rates||2024 Room Rates|
|Per person per night sharing||$ 1 730||$ 1 300||$ 2 540||$ 1 920||$ 1 445||$ 2 820|
|Single supplement*||$ 865||$650||$ 1 270||$ 960||$723||$ 1 410|
|Children sharing with adults rate (6 – 15 years)||$ 865||$650||$ 1 270||$ 960||$723||$ 1 410|
|THE JAHAZI SUITE AT MARA PLAINS|
|An exclusive use 2-bedroom Suite consisting of a shared lounge and dining area with private game drive vehicle and guide.|
|Per night on exclusive use only||$ 8 304||$ 6 240||$ 12 192||$ 9 215||$ 6 935||$ 13 535|
|Late check out rate||Not Available|
|Great Plains Foundation Conservation & Community Contribution||$ 50 per person (of any age) per night||$ 95 per person (of any age) per night|
- Mid: 11 January – 31 March
- Low: 01 April – 14 June & 01 November – 19 December
- High: 15 June – 31 October & 20 December 2023 – 10 January 2025
- Children are accommodated from a minimum age of 6 years.
- Activities will cater to family ability & safety. Some activities may have a specific age related restriction – please refer to the general notes at the end of this manual.
MARA PLAINS CAMP
- Child rates are applicable for up to one child 15 and younger sharing with two adults in a suite.
- Children 16 and older will pay applicable adult rates and be accommodated in a separate suite.
- Families will be combined with other guests on all activities.
- THE JAHAZI SUITE AT MARA PLAINS- Child rates and private vehicle requirements do not apply because the Suite is sold on exclusive use basis only.
- Fully inclusive of accommodation, all meals
- all conservation/park fees,
- scheduled wildlife viewing activities on the Maasai Mara National Reserve (one day per stay),Olare Motorogi & Mara North Conservancies,
- return Olare Motorogi airstrip road transfers,
- non- alcoholic and alcoholic beverages including premium brand spirits and champagne.
- The return scheduled seat in plane air transfers from Nairobi Wilson or properties in the greater Maasai Mara region to this camp are automatically included in the full nightly rate – subject to a minimum 2-night stay. Where air transfers are from properties located outside of these routings, the standard applicable flying costs will apply.
Rates are exclusive of in camp spa treatments, and hot air ballooning which should be booked in advance.
- Local airlines offer twice daily scheduled flights between Nairobi’s Wilson airport and Maasai Mara’s Olare Orok airstrip. Schedule and rates available on request. Minimum 2 guests required per flight.
- Local airlines use a variety of aircraft ranging from a Cessna Caravan (12 seats) to a 40-seat aircraft. The flying times are approximate as the service could land at additional airstrips en route, depending on passenger demand.
- The Maasai Mara National Reserve and Great Plains Foundation Conservation & Community levies are applicable to all private pilot / guide stays.
- Late check outs are not available.
- *For all multiple single-room reservations in shoulder and low season, a single supplement will apply from the 2nd single room.
- Each guest suite includes one pair of high quality binoculars and a professional camera set, including professional camera body and lenses for guest’s complimentary use. Photos will be downloaded to a memory stick on guest’s departure.
Special Offers-2023 / 2024
Extend your ultimate Kenyan safari experience by combining 4 nights at either of our Maasai Mara camps with 4 nights at ol Donyo Lodge and only pay for 6 nights!Booking Terms and Conditions:
- This offer is valid for a safari stay of a minimum of 4 nights at one of the following Kenyan camps – Mara Plains Camp,The Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains, Mara Nyika Camp, The Sambuk Suite at Mara Nyika, Mara Expedition Camp,Mara Toto Tree Camp (opening 1 July 2024) and ol Donyo Lodge;
- This offer is valid for travel from 11 January – 14 June 2023, 01 November – 19 December 2023, 11 January – 14 June 2024 and 01 November – 19 December 2024
- This offer is valid to all standard guest US$ rate accommodation reservations
- Guide rates and private safari drive vehicle hire rates are additional
- Conservation, park fees and levies apply to all free nights
- Return scheduled air transfers from Nairobi Wilson Airport are included for stays at Mara Plains Camp, The Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains, Mara Nyika Camp,The Sambuk Suite at Mara Nyika, Mara Toto Tree Camp (opening mid-2024), and ol Donyo Lodge.
- Return scheduled air transfers from Nairobi are excluded from stays at Mara Expedition Camp unless combined with Mara Plains Camp, The Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains, Mara Nyika Camp, Mara Toto Tree Camp,The Sambuk Suite at Mara Nyika and/or ol Donyo Lodge;
- Offers cannot be combined and are offered on a stand alone basis per reservation.