Mara Plains Camp
Masai Mara Olare Motorogi Conservancy-Luxury Safari Camp-Rates from US$ 1,250
An unparalleled adventure into one of the most iconic wildlife destinations on the planet, where the battle for survival plays out in front of you each and every day…This is Mara Plains Camp, located on the northern border of the Masai Mara Game Reserve in the 30,000 acre Olare Motorogi Conservancy. It is just one of five camps currently operating within the Olare Motorogi Conservancy, which boasts the region’s lowest vehicle density with no mini-buses, and only one guest room per 700 acres! The fresh air of the Mara Plains, getting on and off vehicles, and walking will incite an appetite and there’s no going hungry here..
Mara Plains Camp is a one-of-a-kind luxury Kenya safari camp located in the private 13,300-hectare Olare Motorogi Conservancy, just on the Maasai Mara National Reserve’s northern boundary. This intimate Great Plains Conservation Réserve-Collection safari camp is one of Kenya’s only three Relais & Chateaux properties. The other safari camps are its sister properties, ol Donyo Lodge and Mara Nyika Camp. Mara Plains Camp blends the finest in wildlife viewing with the absolute best of safari hospitality and guiding.
- Accommodation:Fully inclusive of all scheduled activities, meals, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, including imported spirits and champagne. Park fees and flights are additional.
- Number of Guests:Mara Plains Camp can accommodate 14 guests sharing, plus an additional guide’s tent as required.
- Children from 8 years are welcome and can be accommodated in our family suite.
- Activities:Early morning, late afternoon and night game drives in an open, 4×4 vehicle as well as the option of getting to know more about the local Maasai Community. Balloon flights across the Maasai Mara can be arranged but are at an additional cost.
- Location:On the 35,000 acre private Olare Motorogi Conservancy which lies on the northern border of the Maasai Mara National Reserve in southwestern Kenya.
The ‘perfect safari’ means something different to everyone.
The well-appointed en-suite facilities (including a deep copper bath) and extensive private verandah complete what is genuinely a stunning concept. Each suite has deep canvas canopied ceilings, rough-hewn wood floors and accents of East Africa’s rich safari history. Thick Lamu wood doors, deep reds, and brass accents – these small details transport guests to a time and land far away. These stylistic elements and thoughtful environmental elements such as solar power and no cement make Mara Plains a modern-day safari retreat.
The Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains, an intimate, two-bedroom exquisite, tented luxury Kenya safari suite, is built entirely under canvas and is a perfect partner to the safari experiences at Mara Nyika Camp and ol Donyo Lodge. It is on raised, recycled railway sleeper decking and offers guests incredible views of the steady stream of wildlife parading past whilst discreetly tucked away under the tree canopy. Central to the Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains is an indoor dining area leading out to a prominent private outdoor verandah and flanked by two large bedrooms with en-suite facilities consisting of a flush loo, double basins and indoor and outdoor showers and luxurious baths. A short walkway leads off the main area to a private swimming pool. Ceiling fans in the guest’s bedroom and careful tented suite design maintain a comfortable climate for rest and relaxation. When residing at the Jahazi Suite at Mara Plains, guests automatically enjoy the services of a private game drive vehicle and guide.
Mara Plains Camp Jahazi Suite
Whatever your interests or travel style there is a Great Plains Conservation experience perfect for you. Use the pages below to help guide and inspire you as you plan the trip of a life time.
We are pleased to invite you to our Safari Experiences
- Luxury Safari
- Horseback Safari
- Photographic Safari
- Explorer Safari
- The Great Migration
- Flying Safari
- Walking Safari
- Bush Wedding
- Young Explorers
- Suggested Safaris
The Olare Motorogi Conservancy is reputed to have the lowest vehicle density in the Maasai Mara region while also having the highest concentration of big cats anywhere in Africa. The camp is a sanctuary for resident wildlife species, including many of the Maasai Mara’s 300 bird species. After dark, larger mammals frequent the camp, and Maasai warriors escort guests to and from their rooms. Hippos snorting and leopards barking often provide the night’s chorus.But most of all, Mara Plains is a showcase for one of the world’s most magnificent wildlife havens. We believe in keeping the safari experience intimate and personal, so there is no set camp schedule or set mealtimes. The guest’s preferences and wildlife opportunities of the moment tailor the day’s activities and dining arrangements. Each guest suite has a set of professional cameras and lenses available for guests to use on a complimentary basis. Add to it the pair of high-quality binoculars, and it is impossible not to see and capture the region’s incredible wildlife scenes. Engaging youth in local communities living alongside conserved land is critical to long-term conservation. Our conservation education programs engage youth with the natural world at a pivotal time in their lives. Great Plains Conservation believes that through thoughtful engagement, environmental education, fun and mentorship, youth in communities that surround our protected wildlife areas can learn to appreciate the uniqueness of their ecosystems and become champions for conservation.
Masai Mara-Olare Motorogi Conservancy
To Mara Plains Camp
Sample Safari Itineraries
Non Residents Rates in US$ per night
Mara Plains Camp 2023 Rates
|2023 Room Rates||2024 Room Rates|
|Per person per night sharing||$ 1 730||$ 1 300||$ 2 540||$ 1 920||$ 1 445||$ 2 820|
|Single supplement*||$ 865||$650||$ 1 270||$ 960||$723||$ 1 410|
|Children sharing with adults rate (6 – 15 years)||$ 865||$650||$ 1 270||$ 960||$723||$ 1 410|
|THE JAHAZI SUITE AT MARA PLAINS|
|An exclusive use 2-bedroom Suite consisting of a shared lounge and dining area with private game drive vehicle and guide.|
|Per night on exclusive use only||$ 8 304||$ 6 240||$ 12 192||$ 9 215||$ 6 935||$ 13 535|
|Late check out rate||Not Available|
|Great Plains Foundation Conservation & Community Contribution||$ 50 per person (of any age) per night||$ 95 per person (of any age) per night|
- Mid: 11 January – 31 March
- Low: 01 April – 14 June & 01 November – 19 December
- High: 15 June – 31 October & 20 December 2023 – 10 January 2025
- Children are accommodated from a minimum age of 6 years.
- Activities will cater to family ability & safety. Some activities may have a specific age related restriction – please refer to the general notes at the end of this manual.
MARA PLAINS CAMP
- Child rates are applicable for up to one child 15 and younger sharing with two adults in a suite.
- Children 16 and older will pay applicable adult rates and be accommodated in a separate suite.
- Families will be combined with other guests on all activities.
- THE JAHAZI SUITE AT MARA PLAINS- Child rates and private vehicle requirements do not apply because the Suite is sold on exclusive use basis only.
- Fully inclusive of accommodation, all conservation/park fees, scheduled wildlife viewing activities on the Maasai Mara National Reserve (one day per stay), Olare Motorogi & Mara North Conservancies, all meals, laundry, return Olare Motorogi airstrip road transfers, non- alcoholic and alcoholic beverages including premium brand spirits and champagne.
- Rates are exclusive of in camp spa treatments, and hot air ballooning which should be booked in advance.
- The return scheduled seat in plane air transfers from Nairobi Wilson or properties in the greater Maasai Mara region to this camp are automatically included in the full nightly rate – subject to a minimum 2-night stay. Where air transfers are from properties located outside of these routings, the standard applicable flying costs will apply.
- Local airlines offer twice daily scheduled flights between Nairobi’s Wilson airport and Maasai Mara’s Olare Orok airstrip. Schedule and rates available on request. Minimum 2 guests required per flight.
- Local airlines use a variety of aircraft ranging from a Cessna Caravan (12 seats) to a 40-seat aircraft. The flying times are approximate as the service could land at additional airstrips en route, depending on passenger demand.
- The Maasai Mara National Reserve and Great Plains Foundation Conservation & Community levies are applicable to all private pilot / guide stays.
- Late check outs are not available.
- *For all multiple single-room reservations in shoulder and low season, a single supplement will apply from the 2nd single room.
- Each guest suite includes one pair of high quality binoculars and a professional camera set, including professional camera body and lenses for guest’s complimentary use. Photos will be downloaded to a memory stick on guest’s departure.