An alluring setting for a romantic getaway or a memorable celebration.-Kenya Beach Holiday Safaris
This Indian Ocean luxury beach hotel in Kenya is everyone’s favorite and our guests
just keep coming back for more.An iconic tropical paradise on the Kenyan coast
sitting right in the middle of the pristine Watamu Marine National Park with
its idyllic white sand beach and turquoise waters. The exceptional personal
service and sincere charm of this established hotel has come to represent
Kenyan coastal luxury to so many travellers for close to 30 years.
There is so much to do here – learn to kite-surf; get your PADI certificate, take a sunset dhow cruise on Mida Creek, play a round of golf on the nearby world class golf course, Vipingo Ridge; or go on safari for a few days in Tsavo or the Maasai Mara. If that all sounds a little too energetic, relax around the pool with a good book as you work your way through our cocktail menu.
Watamu – meaning “home of the sweet people” in Swahili – is a small village on the Kenyan coast approximately 120kms north of Mombasa – Kenya’s second largest city. It is also 20kms south of Malindi – Vasco de Gama’s first landing point on the coast of East Africa. Watamu’s shoreline features pristine white sand beaches and offshore coral formations arranged in different bays and sheltered by a reef. The area is protected as part of the Watamu Marine National Park and is considered one of the best snorkeling and diving areas on the coast of Africa. The Marine Park is renowned worldwide for its natural beauty and boasts a diverse marine life from the visiting whale sharks and manta rays to three species of sea turtle.
Hemingways Watamu Accommodation
Bright, airy rooms measuring 40m² with en-suite bathrooms and private balconies all offering exceptional views of the Indian Ocean – a view you wish you woke up to every morning. There are 13 newly renovated Deluxe Ocean View Rooms on the second floor of our North Wing and 26 Ocean View Rooms on the ground and first floor.
These ultra luxe apartments are located in the South Wing of the hotel and offer 1, 2 and 4 bedroom configurations. The Residences have been designed and finished to the highest degree of modern coastal luxury and feature majestic open terraces with magical views of the beach and Marine Park, comfortable lounge and dining areas flooded with natural light, en-suite bathrooms and fully equipped contemporary kitchens. Guests of the Residences enjoy full access to all hotel facilities with the added benefit of being completely self sufficient if that’s what you’re looking for.
Dining al fresco at the beach with a gentle breeze is one of life’s great pleasures. Whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner, hemingways signature menus focus on fresh produce cooked simply and served expertly. There is something to everyone’s taste at Hemingways Watamu.
Hemingways Watamu Experiencies
Hemingways Watamu spa is a natural extension of the property’s commitment to
quality and personalized service. Sitting adjacent to the botanical pool in its
own pavilion, the Spa offers guests the ideal hideaway to retreat for a few
hours of ‘me time’. The treatment menu combines signature treatments from
Terres D’Afrique, an African skincare company that takes inspiration from the
traditional uses of African plants, as well as Hemingways’ own treatment
recipes using the best locally sourced ingredients. Our small, experienced team
of therapists are on hand to rehydrate, restore and re-energize.
Watamu has so much to offer those seeking an active holiday. Whether it’s on the sea or on the greens the fantastic conditions of the coast will leave you pining for more.
- Water Sports:Exhilarating, high-speed extreme sports will jolt you out of the lazy lull of coastal life.
- Kite Surfing: If you are up for the challenge, sign up for one of the courses at Tribe Watersports, one of the best kite surf school in Kenya, which is a stroll away down the beach. It welcomes beginners and experienced kite-boarders. The warm, forgiving waters and the sand-cushioned sea bed are kind to beginners while the reef with its swells, kickers and sliders is a wild water-park for confident kite-boarders.
- Wind Surfing: A fantastic sport to enjoy in Watamu as the area provides the right conditions with constant wind and flat water. It is a great way for the family to enjoy a beach holiday and discover and new way to be active on the water.
- Stand Up Paddle: Stand Up Paddle (SUP) is one of the most up and coming sports for everyone, which is fun and great for communing with wildlife on their level. Whether its watching sea turtles take a breath or the sharks and rays swimming in Turtle Bay, or to entice the curious Watamu dolphins who may join you, this is the best, most natural way above the water to view the marine life in our Park and Reserve.
- Golf: The five-star golf resort of Vipingo Ridge is a popular day trip for Hemingways’ Watamu guests. 40 minutes’ drive from Watamu, a meandering system of water features runs through the course, keeping the greens bright and spongy. The course is also an oasis for myriad birds and butterflies. The fairways have been expertly modeled so that every hole poses a unique strategic challenge to golfers.
- Scuba diving: Diving takes place all year round although in our rainy season can be limited to inside the lagoon. Dives range in depth from only 6 or 7 metres to 30 metres, all taking place on the fringing reefs that grow along the shore of Kenya.
- Snorkelling: Exceptional snorkelling conditions in the watamu marine National Park allow all visitors easy access to the spectacular undersea life. Whether a newcomer to the sea, or an experienced diver, you’ll be able to find some exciting things to do.
Places to see
Beyond the beach, Watamu has several interesting places to visit.
- Hike through the shady forest in search of colorful birds, sail Mida Creek in a dhow or head to Malindi to discover Swahili antiques in bustling little streets.
- Mida Creek:The Mida Creek reserve is formed of extensive mangrove forests, warm shallow waters and large…
- Canoes and Creek Rides:Get out on the water at sunset in a locally made bamboe canoe with a fisherman guide, your camera your balance! Very famous is the Crab Shack at Dabaso fish landing site. This is a wooden walkway leading to a number of wooden shelters from where you can relax with amazing views and perfectly observe the birdlife of Mida Creek. You can also enjoy a Swahili fusion lunch and dinner, or simply drinks watching the glorious sunset.
- Gede: Gede Ruins, an archeologist’s delight, was one of the ancient Arab towns that dotted the East African Coast. It dates from the late 13th or early 14th Century and was finally abandoned in the early 17th Century. Excavated since 1927, many areas have been revealed, including the Great Mosque, the Palace, several residential houses and pillar tombs. Surrounded by tall shady trees, a walk through Gede is a must for anyone interested in the Swahili people and Kenya’s history.
- Malindi:As you wander the stone streets of this sea-town, you’ll notice it has a distinctly Italian…
- Safari:Don’t feel that you have to spend your whole holiday on the coast; you might like to venture inland for a few days on safari to explore one of Kenya’s other thriving National Parks. Our experienced team will tailor an adventure that will surpass your expectations of the African bush.
- Tsavo East and Tsavo West:Only a two-hour drive from Hemingways Watamu, you’ll discover more than 12,000 square kilometers…
An alluring setting for a romantic getaway or a memorable celebration.
Celebrate your engagement, honeymoon, anniversary, and birthday or just run away together for a while to the secluded ivory sands of the Indian Ocean. The beauty of a tropical oasis with all the benefits of 5 star service and standards creates the perfect mix for the ultimate party. Our experienced events management team will help you plan your memorable occasion and be there on the day to make sure it runs perfectly. Perhaps you’d like a private evening on an Arabic dhow on Mida Creek or a sunset ceremony overlooking the white sands of Watamu.
We have been organizing weddings in Watamu for over 30 years. Our experienced wedding
coordinators will be delighted to work with you to ensure your day is magical and exactly what
you want. You give us your dream, and we then make it happen.
The details that go into planning a wedding are what truly define the memorable event.
Hemingways Watamu has wedding packages that have considered everything down to the smallest
detail. We have a diverse menu selection, a selection of bar services and a stunning location to
help create the wedding of your dreams.
You Dream…… We Make it Come True
Spend lazy days enjoying each other’s company, the temperate climate and our delicious menus. If you want an adventure on your honeymoon, head inland to the bush for a few nights of safari at Tsavo or the Maasai Mara and return to Watamu for kite surfing and scuba diving before you fly back home.
Modern corporate facilities offering professionally organized and efficiently planned meetings and events on one of Africa’s finest beaches.
The ideal executive retreat within easy reach of Watamu, our corporate facilities offer the coveted combination of privacy and relaxation. Equipped with modern communication and presentation technology, our conference suite is a stylish venue for board meetings, strategy sessions and away-days. The total seclusion of our conference suite is an inspiring arena for business networking or in-house discussions whilst the myriad activities on offer in Watamu provide the perfect opportunity for networking and team building.
Hemingways Watamu offers one dedicated conference suite. We can seat up to 70 delegates theatre style but the conference suite is designed for smaller groups of 20 – 40 in either boardroom or classroom style.
Hemingways Watamu 2023 Resident Rates
Validity: 25th Apr -15th Jul, 1st – 30th Sep 2023
|Resident Nightly Rates on Half Board Basis in Kshs|
|North Wing Ocean View||14,000||K7,000||7,350|
|North Wing Deluxe Ocean View||18,000||10,000||7,350|
|1 Bedroom Apt (min 2pax)||24,000||—||7,350|
|2 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||18,000||—||7,350|
|2 Bedroom Deluxe Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||20,000||—||7,350|
|4 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 8pax)||17,000||—||7,350|
|3 NIGHTS FOR 2 ON HALFBOARD|
|Week day only Arrival on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday|
|North Wing Ocean View||31,000||14,000||16,200|
|North Wing Deluxe Ocean View||39,000||20,000||16,200|
|1 Bedroom Apt (min 2pax)||51,000||—||16,200|
|2 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||39,000||—||16,200|
|2 Bedroom Deluxe Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||43,000||—||16,200|
|4 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 8pax)||37,000||—||16,200|
|4 NIGHTS FOR 3 ON HALFBOARD||PPSSRSChild||North Wing Ocean View||Ksh 45,000Ksh 21,000Ksh 23,550||North Wing Deluxe Ocean View||Ksh 57,000Ksh 30,000Ksh 23,550||1 Bedroom Apt (min 2pax)||Ksh 75,000—Ksh 23,550||2 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||Ksh 57,000—Ksh 23,550||2 Bedroom Deluxe Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||Ksh 63,000—Ksh 23,550||4 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 8pax)||Ksh 54,000—Ksh 23,550|
|7 NIGHTS FOR 5 ON HALFBOARD|
|North Wing Ocean View||Ksh 76,000||Ksh 34,000||Ksh 40,250|
|North Wing Deluxe Ocean View||Ksh 96,000||Ksh 49,000||Ksh 40,250|
|1 Bedroom Apt (min 2pax)||Ksh 126,000||—||Ksh 40,250|
|2 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||Ksh 96,000||—||Ksh 40,250|
|2 Bedroom Deluxe Ocean View Apt (min 4pax)||Ksh 106,000||—||Ksh 40,250|
|4 Bedroom Ocean View Apt (min 8pax)||Ksh 91,000||—||Ksh 40,250|
|Note: PPS-Per Person Sharing:SRS-Single Room Supplement:-Child-Under 12 Years|
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Accommodation rates are on half board basis, inclusive of breakfast and dinner
- Two children below 12 years in own room pay 75% of the double room / under 5 years stays free on halfboard, all other extras/meals payable as per kids menu
- Spa Discount of 10%
- Rates are quoted in Ksh, inclusive of government taxes, service charge and catering levy.
- Payment Terms: Full payment 30 days prior to check in
- Cancellation within 13 days of travel or less will attract 100% cancellation fees
- Proof of East African residency required upon reservation
Hemingways Watamu Non Resident rates in USD
|High Season (3rd January – 24th April, 1st August – 31st August, 1st October – 22nd December 2023)|
|Occupancy||Single||Double/Twin||Extra Adult||Child rate|
|North Wing Ocean View Double/Twin||395||550||195||125|
|North Wing Deluxe Ocean View Double/Twin||470||595||n/a||n/a|
|1 Bedroom Ocean View Apartment||595||940||n/a||n/a|
|2 Bedroom Ocean View Apartment (4 pax)||1305||1305||n/a||n/a|
|2 Bedroom Deluxe Ocean View Apt (4 pax)||1595||1595||n/a||n/a|
|4 Bedroom Ocean View Penthouse Apt (8 pax)||2,800||2,800||n/a||n/a|
|Regular Season (25th April 2021 – 31st July, 1st September – 30th September 2023)|
|Occupancy||Single||Double/Twin||Extra Adult||Child rate|
|North Wing Ocean View Double/Twin||290||410||140||90|
|North Wing Deluxe Ocean View Double/Twin||335||465||n/a||n/a|
|1 Bedroom Ocean View Apartment||540||580||n/a||n/a|
|2 Bedroom Ocean View Apartment (4 pax)||1075||1075||n/a||n/a|
|2 Bedroom Deluxe Ocean View Apt (4 pax)||1205||1205||n/a||n/a|
|4 Bedroom Ocean View Penthouse Apt (8 pax)||2,050||2,050||n/a||n/a|
|Peak Saeson ( 23rd December 2023- 3rd January 2024)|
|Occupancy||Single||Double/Twin||Extra Adult||Child rate|
|North Wing Ocean View Double/Twin||900||900||360||220|
|North Wing Deluxe Ocean View Double/Twin||985||985||n/a||n/a|
|1 Bedroom Ocean View Apartment||1,075||1,075||n/a||n/a|
|2 Bedroom Ocean View Apartment (4 pax)||2,150||2,150||n/a||n/a|
|2 Bedroom Deluxe Ocean View Apt (4 pax)||2365||2365||n/a||n/a|
|4 Bedroom Ocean View Penthouse Apt (8 pax)||4,460||4,460||n/a||n/a|
*Premium Season arrivals between 27th to 31st December 2023 Minimum Length of Stay 4 Nights
All rates are per room/apartment per night and are quoted, invoiced and paid in USD
These rates include:
- Half board accommodation (Dinner, Bed and Breakfast) and all local taxes
- High speed Wi-Fi internet
- Mineral Water
- Complimentary use of the gym and tennis court
These rates exclude:
- Sundowner Dhow Cruise at Mida Creek – USD50 per person excluding Marine Park fees minimum of 10 pax
- Snorkeling trip on a glass bottom boat – USD20 per person excluding Marine Park fee
- Cultural trip to Gede Ruins – USD45 per person including transport, entrance fees and guide
- Visit to Arabuko Sokoke Forest (3 hours) – USD75 per Person with guide, max 4 pax, including entrance fee
- Watamu Bio-Ken Snake Park – USD39 per person including transport and entrance fee
- Cultural Visit to Malindi town – USD60 per person with guide – max 4 pax
- Beach BBQ – USD75 per person excluding Marine Park fees, minimum 10 persons
- Lunch Supplement (TDH Menu) USD35 per person
- Dinner Supplement (TDH Menu) USD40 per person
- Lunch Supplement for Children under 12 is 50% of adult meal supplement.
- A child (0-5 years) sharing with an adult stays free
- Children below 12 years in their own room – 70% of the applicable room rate
- Malindi Airport USD50 per vehicle (Max 3 pax) one way
- Malindi Airport USD70 per vehicle (Max 5 pax) one way
- Moi International Airport Mombasa USD175 per vehicle/7 seater van one way
- Vipingo Airport USD60 per vehicle (Max 3 pax) one way
- Vipingo Airport USD90 per vehicle (Max 5 pax) one way
- Stay 4 nights pay for 3, dinner supplement applicable on the 4th night – Offer valid from 3rd January 2023 until 22nd December 2023
- Stay 7 nights pay for 5, dinner supplement applicable on the 7th night Offer valid from 3rd January 2023 until 22nd December 2023
Amenities including cake for two, bottle of wine, fruits and flowers Complimentary room upgrade subject to availability
An extra 10% discount on Hemingways Watamu overnight rates is applicable when clients on the same itinerary are booked with 2 minimum paying nights at Ol Seki Hemingways Mara Camp and Hemingways Nairobi.
An extra 5% discount on Hemingways Watamu overnight rates is applicable when clients on the same itinerary are booked with 2 minimum paying nights at Hemingways Nairobi.
An extra 5% discount on all properties’ overnight rates is applicable when clients on the same itinerary stay overnight at all three Hemingways Collection properties.
For clarification: Day rooms do not count as overnight stays